[CentOS] recompiling kernel results in error: .../linux-2.6.18.i686/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory

Thu May 24 17:47:24 UTC 2007
dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net>

see below
On Thursday 24 May 2007 5:42 am, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On 5/24/07, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/23/07, dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net> wrote:
> > > The compile with the altered %prep section but that does NOT include
> > > the altered config file finished with no apparent errors.
> > >
> > > What is the next step?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > Sorry, I must ask obvious questions.  Did you copy your .config back
> > to the SOURCES directory before running rpmbuild -ba ?  How did you
> > confirm that you are running the newly built kernel?  Did you give a
> > unique release number?
>
> Guess I misunderstood your question.  The following procedure might work.
>
> (1) prepare .spec by removing lines from %prep
> (2) rpmbuild -bp kernel-2.6.spec
> (3) go to BUILD  (where .config is)
> (4) make xconfig
> (5) add # i386 to .config as the first line
> (6) copy this .config back to SOURCES  (using the original name xxx.config)
> (7) rpmbuild -ba kernel-2.6.spec
>
> Or, instead of steps (5) to (7), just run:
I did 5 and 6 anyway, assuming that in the worst case they were not needed and
would do no harm. I then did 'rpmbuild -bc ...' as below.

It was working until gpg had a segfault. From some of the emails I have been
reading this is a known problem that has not been fixed yet.

Other emails I have read indicated that signmodule should be set to 0.
What is the down side risk of doing this?

Thanks for all your input. I know that this will get solved. If fact,
depending on your answer to the signmodule question, resolution may be at
hand.

David