[CentOS] Reformatting a USB drive

Thu May 24 20:02:42 UTC 2007
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 5/24/07, Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> I have a USB drive that has been formatted as NTFS.  Can I reformat it?
> I have identified these properties about it
>
> /dev/sda1
> /media/Extrnl_Bkup
>
> Not sure what to do next since the GUI will not mount a NTFS disk
> (expected).

There are kernel ntfs modules, but really, the most universally
supported option is to format with vfat. This way it will work on
windows, mac and linux systems, fully supported all the way around.
There are some limitations to fat32, 4G file sizes and the like.

The quick and easy way is mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1....tap fingers for a
minute... then unplug/reinsert.

George Orwell