[CentOS] Re: Reformatting a USB drive

Thu May 24 23:25:35 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Todd Cary spake the following on 5/24/2007 4:11 PM:
> Jim -
>
> Thank you!  That is exactly what I needed.  I had to make one change
> though since I use rsync to copy the data to the USB drive: I could not
> use vfat.  Instead, I used ext3.  With vfat, I got errors when it tried
> to do a chmod (expected).
>
> I do have another fs question though.  A couple of weeks ago I noticed
> that the USB icon was not on my desktop when I turned the drive on.  Not
> knowing any better, I ran my rsync with the following:
>
> /usr/bin/rsync -av --exclude=".*" -e ssh /home/ /media/usbdisk/
>
> And it went ahead and did it's thing *but* the drive was
> inoperable...dead.  Where did the data go?
>
> And I noticed with the new drive, if I turn it off, rsync puts the data
> somewhere with
>
> /usr/bin/rsync -av --exclude=".*" -e ssh /home/ /media/usbdisk1/
>
> I need a FS 101 course!!
You don't need the -e ssh command if you are copying locally. Just use
/usr/bin/rsync -av  /home/ /media/usbdisk1/ --exclude=".*"

As for your copy with an unmounted drive, the copy should have gone to
/media/usbdisk .  Try a ls /media/usbdisk
--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and