[CentOS] NTPD ?

Fri May 25 05:54:58 UTC 2007
Scott Lamb <slamb at slamb.org>

On May 24, 2007, at 10:36 PM, jarmo wrote:

> Have used Centos 5 now couple of weeks and started to find
> pieces on places, ie. found logs :D
>
> Now, these ntpd errors strances me. Anyone else
> getting these?
>
>  Errors
>    frequency error 500 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM: 1 time(s)
>    frequency error 503 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM: 1 time(s)
>    frequency error 504 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM: 1 time(s)
>    frequency error 505 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM: 1 time(s)
>    frequency error 509 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM: 3 time(s)
>    frequency error 512 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM: 203 time(s)

That means that your clock is drifting too badly for ntpd to
compensate by slewing time, and it's had to step instead. So time on
your machine is discontinuous and possibly stepping backwards. You
can find some more information by searching for "500" in the ntpd
manpage.

I think this would be due to bad hardware or a kernel problem.

> I compiled vanilla kernel 2.6.21.2 into use, just by oldfasion way
> "make menuconfig, make, make install", used .config from original
> kernel, came with distro. Only changed prosessor type into K7.

You might have done this to yourself by switching kernels. (I've
heard of time problems due to a problem with a SATA controller
driver.) What was wrong with the one that came with CentOS? If you
switch back to it, do you still have this problem?

> Syncing time into ntp1.funet.fi, but I think that's not the reason,
> because
> tried some other servers too, and got somewhat same results...
>
> Despite of errors, all seems to work, or do I imagine that?

It won't violently explode, but time going backwards can cause
problems. For example, "make" can produce incorrect rebuilds due to
improper ordering of timestamps.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>