[CentOS] Questions about network configuration

Fri May 25 10:19:04 UTC 2007
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> NETWORKING_IPV6=   -> I wonder if I can switch that to 'no', since I
> simple don't use IPV6. Will some apps mysteriously refuse to work when I
> do this? (You never know...)

That can be safely switched off, yes.

> HOSTNAME=...   -> this looks like a redundancy with information provided
> in /etc/hosts. So what is it for? Can it be left out?

NO. There are probably several parts of the system relying on the
hostname of your machine to be in that file.

> GATEWAY=...   -> another redundancy, since it's also to be found in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>. Leave it out if it's
> in the individual interface scripts?

This is the *default* gateway, which should be referenced here.

Cheers,

Ralph