[CentOS] Coping music from tapes

Fri May 25 19:42:36 UTC 2007
boisvert.guy at videotron.ca <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca>

----- Message d'origine -----De: Ioannis Vranos <ivranos at freemail.gr>Date: Vendredi, Mai 25, 2007 3:12 pmObjet: [CentOS] Coping music from tapesÀ: centos at centos.org> OS: CentOS 5.0 x86.> > Hi, I have some old music tapes and a walkman, and want to move > the > music to mp3 format. So far I am thinking to use Audacity to > record the > music to wavs, and then do not know, somehow I will compress the > wavs to > mp3s as vbr 192 Kbps with something.> > > Has anyone done this? What app did you use for recording the > music from > the tapes and what app did you use to make it mp3? Unfortunately > my mp3 > player doesn't support ogg vorbis, so this is not an option.> > > Thanks in advance.Hi!I'm a DJ and i still do it very often.I use Adobe Audition (Audacity will do too).  I remove clicks and pops.Then i save my master in FLAC format using the FLAC plugin.  I dunno about FLAC and Audacity but at least, you could save uncompressed and use the FLAC codec afterwards.  It's always a good idea to save your master in FLAC (Lossless compression) so you can re-edit your files afterwards without starting from a lossy compressed file (MP3 is lossy, it degrades every time you save).After that, i generate the MP3 with LAME, piping FLAC decoder into the LAME MP3 codec.I use MP3 VBR, quality level 1.LAME is one of the best MP3 Compressor and is free (same for FLAC).As for the ID3 tags, i standardized with ID3 v2 and i don't use v1 inside the same file (using to hearders inside the same MP3 is source of problem from time to time).  There are a couple of good masstaggers so your could use that to save time.Finally, i use MP3Gain to adjust the gain of all my files to 90 db.Hope this helped.Guy Boisvert