[CentOS] Any HowTo for Getting Started With Xen?

Mon May 28 15:40:09 UTC 2007
Luciano Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org>

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 11:29:03AM -0400, David Mackintosh wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Now that CentOS 5 is out with Xen, I can theoretically take better
> advantage of my nice Intel processor with the virtualization piece
> than I can with VMware Server.

You can't. Xen's fully virtualized hardware implementation isn't as fast
as VMware's. Also, there are no para-virtualized drivers for HDD, lan or
video for Windows, as there are in VMware.

> Ideally what I would like to do is install CentOS 5 as a dom0, then
> run my existing CentOS 4.x installation as a domU while I figure out
> how to do other interesting things (like install Solaris 10 and
> Windows as domU installations).

CentOS 4 and OpenSolaris as paravirtualized will be much faster than
under VMware. But Windows can only run as fully virtualized.

> Does anyone have any links to pages which might show me how to use
> Xen to run an existing, already-installed CentOS (or RedHat) under
> Xen as a domU?

yum -y install kernel-xenU :)

That should create the initrd and kernel that you can then use in Xen.

--
lfr
0/0