[CentOS] Problems with yum

Wed May 30 06:32:26 UTC 2007
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Dale Gilbert wrote:
> I am getting the following error when trying to run yum update:
>
> Downloading Packages:
> warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6
>

> Public key for rsync-2.6.9-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm is not installed

Others have already answered that you need the rpmforge key (can be found in
the rpmforge-release package).

I wanted to point out a different thing. rsync is originally from Centos-Base
and is now about to be replaced by a newer version from rpmforge. If this was
what you wanted you may stop reading now.

However, lots of people get a bunch of base packages replaced by 3rd party
ones when they add repos and the run yum update. Typically they added the
repo for one or a set of packages not available in base and did not
expect/notice/want to have base packages over-written.

There are a few ways to controll this. Either you include only the pkgs you
want from external repos or you install a yum-plugin that gives you new ways
to configure repos. I's suggest having a look att yum-plugin-protectbase
and/or yum-plugin-priorities.

/Peter