[CentOS] Very different layout -- RE: How the Centos 5.0's kickstart initrd.img is build??

Thu May 31 10:24:21 UTC 2007
Luciano Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org>

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 05:33:24PM -0700, Guolin Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  I've tried run mkinitrd to create an initrd.img file for Centos 5
> Kickstart, but it turns out that the default initrd.img is quite
> different from the initrd.img file created with mkinitrd. Any one know
> how to create a Kickstart initrd.img with custom kernel? Or the hacking
> steps on a existing Centos 5 kickstart initrd.img?

The initrd used with anaconda doesn't support module pre-loading or
module ordering. It's a simple loader.

You can hard code the modules in the source, I guess:
1. get anaconda's source rpm;
2. rpm -i anaconda.src.rpm
3. rpmbuild -bc .../SPECS/anaconda.spec
4. cd .../BUILD/anaconda*
5. change the sources as needed
6. make
7. rebuild the image with /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/buildinstall

But do you really need to force a specific order for network interfaces?
You can specify that anaconda should use the nic with link for
installation and even (in new anacondas - centos 5) the nic that you
booted from with pxe.

Afterwards, it's a simple matter of changing the HWADDR in
/etc/sysconfing/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* for the order you want.

Also, Dell has a utility that, on some hardware, changes the interfaces
name to correspond to the written in the chassis.

As for storage, when kickstarting an installation you can specify
modules that you want disabled while installing, to force using the one
you want. Afterwards, use lvm or mount by label/uuid.

--
lfr
0/0