[CentOS] Fedora Directory Authentication on CentOS 5

Thu May 31 22:04:10 UTC 2007
Jay Leafey <jay.leafey at mindless.com>

first last wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up a Fedora Directory server for centralised
> authentication.
>
> I configure the directory server, add a user called (via the Java GUI)
> test and then, using system-config-authentication, enable LDAP on both
> tabs. I then try to log-in using the test account I set up on the
> directory, but I get an error message in /var/log/messages:
>
> May 30 16:28:27 ds1 sshd(pam_unix)[4445]: check pass; user unknown
> May 30 16:28:27 ds1 sshd(pam_unix)[4445]: authentication failure;
> logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=localhost.localdomain
>
> which seems to indicate that it cannot find the user in the directory.
> The server is accepting connections on the standard LDAP port.
>
> Am I missing anything?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gabriel

Just on a lark, check the contents of /etc/ldap.conf, the file the
nss_ldap/pam_ldap stuff uses to identify the server.  I ran the
system-config-authentication GUI on some CentOS 4.5 systems and they
failed to change the contents of that file as appropriate.

All I had to do was change the "host" and "base" entries to point to my
server and it worked just fine.  I'm not sure if this is an isolated
problem or a real, live bug, I'm going to test it further to see if I
can tell.

--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com