[CentOS] unattended install via nfs

Mon May 28 23:52:33 UTC 2007
MrKiwi <mrkiwi at gmail.com>

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>    Does anyone have a guide for setting up an nfs server for unattended
> deployment of centos5? Basically what i want to do is boot a system from
> CD media, pass a boot parameter nfs, and ks= options then walk away, the
> box goes out to the nfs server, finds the kickstart file, reads, and
> does it. I've got several machines and i'd rather not do manual installs.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

How about unattended via http? Given that you probably have
a cache of the updates (given that you have 'several
machines'), you already have apache running somewhere with a
cron to rsync the updates from the nearest mirror?

Thats what i do;
centos5 dvd mounted on /var/www/html/cd/0

Boot from cd, linux ks=http://10.1.1.8/unattend.cfg

Not sure if you can put the update (yum -y update) at the
bottom of the kickstart cfg as the box doesnt have working
DNS lookups at that point (AFAIK)

I usually log on as root, replace the
/etc/yum.repo.d/CentOS-Base.repo with my own and then
# yum -y update
# reboot

That way you dont need NFS (unless for some other business
reason)

MrKiwi