[CentOS] help diagnosing tftp server on centos 5

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Thu Nov 1 13:18:17 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have a centos 5 box I have setup, current with updates. (I have done
this many times on centos 4).
I did the yum install tftp-server, changed the /etc/xinetd.d/tftp file
as shown.

# default: off
transfer \
#       protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
#       workstations, download configuration files to network-aware
printers, \
#       and to start the installation process for some operating systems.
service tftp
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -v -s /tftpboot
        disable                 = no
        per_source              = 11
        cps                     = 100 2
        flags                   = IPv4
}

Did the service xinetd restart.

Now from another computer on the network I am trying manually "tftp IP
-c get myfile"
and nothing happens.

/tftpboot permissions are:  drwxr-xr-x    4 root root  4096 Oct  2 16:26
tftpboot
the myfile is also world readable in that directory.

I have disabled the iptables "service iptables stop".

I ran "tcpdump port 69" to show me all tftp traffic an I see NOTHING
when I manually
run the tftp command above on another computer.
The second computer can ssh into the server no problem.

I can, on the server, to tftp localhost -c get myfile and that works fine.

What or HOW can I determine why I cannot tftp from that machine?
This seems so straight forward.

Thanks, frustrated me...

Jerry