[CentOS] Sort imap e-mail remotely

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Nov 1 15:05:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

Patrick Lodder wrote:
> I have a big e-mail box over at my provider. I receive a lot of e-mail
> every day (over 100), which are distributed into different imap-folders
> by thunderbird. The problem is that thunderbird must be running
> (offcourse) to be able to it's job.
> And for thunderbird to run, my (home)computer must be running.

Do you know what IMAP server they use at your ISP ? If its something
that suppors sieve ( good chance ) then take a look at sieve.mozdev.org
- its a plugin to thunderbird that lets you setup remote sieve scripts
really easy. I have been using this to manage my 600 odd line sieve
script, and its been fantastic.

> I have a CENTOS 5 server running also. Are there any programs out there
> that work via command line or as a daemon, that i can use to sort my

You could always just use fetchmail on your centos server, and pull in
all the email from your ISP's end, and setup your own cyrus-imapd (
included in centos4/5 ), and run your own sieve script to sort and
process emails as they come in.