[CentOS] Network issue after new kernel install

Paul Norton

paul at neoverve.com
Thu Nov 1 18:07:54 UTC 2007

Hello CentOS list,

On all of my CentOS 5 VMWare ESX3 virtual machines (about 15), after
installing a new kernel and rebooting the machine, the Network script
tries to run dhclient and can't determine the IP info (since I don't run
a dhcpd server... it's a static IP only lan).  This also backs up my
ifcfg-eth0 file to ifcfg-eth0.bak and writes a new ifcfg-eth0 that has
dhcpd with no IP info.  Copying the ifcfg-eth0.bak to ifcfg-eth0 and
running /etc/init.d/network start or ifup eth0 brings my network back up.

This is an example of what one of my ifcfg-eth0 files looks like...

# Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
DEVICE=eth0
BROADCAST=69.x.x.x
#HWADDR=00:50:56:9C:19:7D
IPADDR=69.x.x.x