[CentOS] Help with GTK and putty

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Sat Nov 3 17:19:08 UTC 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I need a solution (commandline or otherwise) that will let me ssh
> through a socks proxy.   What is a real-world .ssh/config line with
> ProxyCommand to look like that will work?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

A quick look at the ssh_config and nc manpages indicates something like
this should work in your .ssh/config:

Host {target}
     ProxyCommand /usr/bin/nc -X 5 -x {proxyip}:{proxyport} %h %p

where {target} is the FQDN of the target host, {proxyip} is the IP of
the SOCKS proxy, and {proxyport} is the port of the SOCKS proxy.  Change
  "-X 5" to "-X 4" if your SOCKS proxy is version 4 instead of 5.  I
haven't tested this, it's just extrapolation from the manpages.

Hope that helps!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com