[CentOS] GDM problems whe using LDAP for user id information

carlopmart

carlopmart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 13:13:24 UTC 2007

Hi all,

  I have a CentOS-5 workstation configured to retrieve user id information from
LDAP server and password from another kerberos server.

  If I setup a user entry on /etc/passwd file all works ok, user can logon on
GDM and password is verifiyed via kerberos.

  But If I use LDAP to retrieve user information, GDM doesn't works. On the
other side, I can login on console using ldap for user information.

  GDM returns this error on /var/log/secure:

  Nov  5 13:45:40 deagol gdm[2484]: pam_unix(gdm:auth): check pass; user unknown
Nov  5 13:45:40 deagol gdm[2484]: pam_unix(gdm:auth): authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=
Nov  5 13:45:40 deagol gdm[2484]: pam_succeed_if(gdm:auth): error retrieving
information about user testuser

  And on /var/log/messages:

  Nov  5 13:45:41 deagol gdm[2484]: Couldn't authenticate user

  All other services that I use with ldap (ssh for example) works ok. Somebody
knows where is the problem??

  Many thanks.
--
CL Martinez