[CentOS] Installing Google's Picasa for Linux on CentOS

Lanny Marcus lannyma at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 21:28:27 UTC 2007

On 06 November 2007, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
<snip>
>Hmmm does the package look good with a
>rpm -K picasa-2.2.2820-5.i386.rpm

I'm not sure why I could not install the RPM for this. Then, after I
added the Yum repository for Google, and still no joy, I went to the
CentOS Wiki and I read about installing the rpmforge repository, which
I have working properly. Then I searched for and found the key for
Google and installed and verified it.

My last attempt ended with the following:

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 picasa                  i386       2.2.2820-5       google             21 M

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 21 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing: picasa                       ######################### [1/1]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/opt/picasa/lib/libfreetype.so;4730da7e: cpio: symlink

Installed: picasa.i386 0:2.2.2820-5
Complete!
[root at dell2400 ~]#

So, it looks like  there is a problem unpacking that file. I think
SELinux is set to permissive on my box, so that should not be causing
this problem. Ideas? If someone here doesn't have a solution, I will
post in a google group. TIA! Lanny