[CentOS] OT: RH 4/5 and 3Ware 9550SX firmware upgrades

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Wed Nov 7 00:27:19 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Chris Mauritz wrote:
>> I threw caution to the wind and updated my firmware (turns out the
>> machines were using 9550SX controllers, not 9500) from 3.04 to 3.08
>> on a couple of production CentOS 4 and my test CentOS 5 machines.
>> EXT3 performance seems to have improved noticeably on the RAID 0
>> devices I tested so it might be worth the update.
>
> Some numbers would be good... like bonnie++ results, and some feedback
> as to what the config of your raid setup is like.

Sorry, I'm not at the office anymore.  The configuration of my test
CentOS 5 machine looks like this:

Dual Opteron 270 (4 cores total)
2gig RAM
OS on a standalone 80gig SATA disk
3Ware 9550SX with 8 x 500gig Seagate 7200rpm SATA drives
(firmware is now 3.0.8.00.016)

The RAID device is configured as a large RAID0 device (it's mostly
scratch uncompressed video and other temporary data) and is formatted as
an EXT3 filesystem.  According to bonnie++ (with a data set of 4GB), I
was seeing writes around 325mb/sec and reads around 430mb/sec.

Best,