[CentOS] CentOS 5.0 - Yum install using the install cd's as the RPM source

Keith Christian keithchristian at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 19:41:00 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Mark Pryor <tlviewer at yahoo.com>
To: centos at centos.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2007 11:51:56 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 5.0 - Yum install using the install cd's as the RPM source

Keith,
--- Keith Christian <keithchristian at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What is the mechanism or procedure for installing
> additional packages from the six CentOS 5.0 CD's
> using Yum, assuming a secured server with no outside
> internet connection?
>
> Debian based distributions are able to use the
> package manager to search for and install from the
> CD's, and I'm looking for the CentOS equivalent.
>
> Obviously, it's possible to install "manually" from
> a CD with:
>
>        mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom
>        cd /media/cdrom/CentOS
>        rpm -U foobar-1.2.3.-4.5.el5.i386.rpm
>
> Yum has such good dependency checking I'd like to
> know of a way to use it if possible.

Checkout the file
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo

there are several pre-set mount points for your ISO
mounts. For my DVD I use /mnt/repo

I see above you have the right mount for an ISO. Then
to point YUM to your media repo use
#yum install SomeRPM --disablerepo=\*
--enablerepo=c5-media

if you want to ban external access, the disablerepo
token is the key.

--
Mark

Hi Mark,  Thanks for the info, I'll put it in my hints file.

=========Keith