[CentOS] CentOS 5 Boot Issues

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Sun Nov 11 17:07:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 01:11:48PM +0100, Alain Spineux alleged:
> On Nov 11, 2007 9:32 AM, Robert Slade <centos at likley.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am still having problems with my desktop system. Having updated it
> > from 4 to 5, I now have problems with the logs. Neither boot.log nor
> > dmesg has any data post the update. syslog appears to be normal in that
> > it starts when it should but does not show any errors. It looks like
> > whatever is supposed to write to the logs during initial boot is not
> > doing so, but I am not sure where to look to see what is wrong.
>
> Look for some "*.rpmsave" files and specialy in /etc.
> Check the integrity of related packages:
> rpm -V sysklogd initscripts

And "*.rpmnew" files.  You will have a lot of .rpmnew files after an upgrade.

And then there is "*.rpmorig", but those don't show up as often.

When you find .rpmsave files, that's a hint that a previous config may have been lost.

When you find .rpmnew files, that's a hint that new configs may not be working.
When they differ, and you don't recognize the change as something you want to
keep, then 'mv' the .rpmnew file over the original ('mv' more easily preserves
timestamps and such.)