[CentOS] Installing skype in CentOS 5

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Nov 12 07:17:58 UTC 2007

Andrew Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 03:47 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> Thanks,
>>> Actually Ekiga is already installed in my CentOS 5 system - one question
>>> though - can I communicate with skype users via Ekiga?
>> How about using the Beta skype at:
>>
>> 	http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/beta/choose/
>>
>> The offer a package specially made for CentOS and you only require qt4. I
>> installed it without any problems. Haven't tested the video-stuff yet
>> though :/
>>
> Thanks Dag,
> Im a bit puzzled though because, according to my previous yum operation
> (see above), skype needs qt 4.2 (as the missing dependency error
> indicates) and the link above also says that the beta skype for CentOS
> needs qt 4.2.1+ - but yum list skype on my system says
> qt.i386          1:3.3.6-20.el5         installed
> Is this OK for the beta skype or do I need to update to
> qt.i386          1:3.3.6-23.el5
> or what?

The RPMS in question are not designed for CentOS, but are designed for
Fedora.

Skype makes a statically compiled version of the program.  I use it
every day on CentOS-5 without problem.

Upgrading to QT 4 is not, IMHO, a very good idea if you want other
things to work that are compile against qt3 ... that is just my opinion.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes