[CentOS] CentOS5 and ipw2200

Christian Volker cvolker at vmware.com
Mon Nov 12 13:33:22 UTC 2007

>> I tried to use CentOS5 on an IBM Thinkpad R52 which has an Intel
>> 2915ABG Mini-PCI Adapter installed.

>> I downloaded the firmware from the DAG-Repo (afaik 3.0.0) and added a
>> eth1 ipw2200" to modules.conf. After the module was loaded successfully
>> (including the firmware) I was able to configure the card.

>can you compare the iwconfig output on centos5 and FC8 ?
Not in the next two weeks. Sorry for that. As far as I remember it was the
same. And I compared the values with the ones stored in

> Your was already installed when you installed centos5 ? And for FC8 ?
What do you mean? If the card was already installed? Yes it was. And on all
tests it was a fresh installation.

>Can you try to install a FC8 kernel, if you don't suffer dependency
>problem ? (or with a FC7 kernel)
I can try this as well, but not within the next two weeks.
So you're assuming it's related to the kernel? On the OpenSuSE it's kernel, which seems to be nearly the same as on CentOS5
2.6.18-8.1.15.el5. So I don't believe it will be fixed with a newer kernel.

>If static IP is working, are you sure your DHCP is working on the
wireless side ?
Yes, I am sure. Another (Windows) laptop is working fine with DHCP in the
same WLAN.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Christian Volker
Technical Support Engineer