[CentOS] Need advice on storage

boisvert.guy at videotron.ca boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 13 06:58:27 UTC 2007

----- Message d'origine -----De: Kenneth Price <kprice at nowyouknow.net>Date: Lundi, Novembre 12, 2007 10:58 pmObjet: Re: [CentOS] Need advice on storageÀ: CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>> > You've already received a few responses about reconfiguring your > entireserver, so I'll avoid that route and simply answer your > question straight.> > "No"> > There will not be a "significant" performance boost striping > only 2 drives.> The 10K RPM Raptors alone will definitely increase performance, > but there> is little/no real advantage striping them together.  Getting any> significant performance increase from a RAID array really > requires at> *least* 4 drives ... the more the merrier ... although I'll > probably catch> some flack from that statement. :-)> > A previous poster mentioned increasing your RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb. > That was> an excellent idea and should be done in parallel with whatever drive> changes you make.> > Regards,> Ken> >Thanks Ken.That's a good thing to know that software striping won't really boost performance, i then won't waste money on that avenue.  I cannot explain why as i don't know about Linux drivers architecture and general system low level behavior but maybe somebody on this list could give us a clue.As i said on my previous post, i found that the server is inside a rack that has a VTRAK 15100 SCSI to SATA Enclosure with a free SCSI bus (the unit has 2 independant bus) and hard disk slots.  I think we have a spare Adaptec 39160 so if it's the case, i could go with this solution and buy 4 x WD 250 Gigs "YS" (RAID) serie drives @ about 75$ each and put all this in RAID 10.  The unit supports NCQ.  It remains to be seen how well it can perform even if they are talking about "up to 200 MBps".Regards,Guy Boisvert