[CentOS] Re: A good primer to User Administration?

redhat at mckerrs.net redhat at mckerrs.net
Wed Nov 14 00:11:20 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric B." <ebenze at hotmail.com>
To: centos at centos.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:58:15 AM (GMT+1000) Australia/Brisbane
Subject: [CentOS] Re: A good primer to User Administration?

"Shibu C Varughese" <shibucv at itmission.org> wrote
in message news:4739E414.4060504 at itmission.org...
>> My question is the following. I've been searching online for a good
>> reference to describe good practices when building a linux network, but
>> haven't really been able to find much when it comes to best practices for
>> user administration, ACLs, "optimal" (or recommended) file locations,
>> etc. For example, I know I need an LDAP server, but not sure how that
>> ties into system login, or how to use a Linux LDAP server as the basis
>> for a primary domain controller (is it still called that given Windows AD
>> world?), etc. Or even how to properly create group structures and ACLs
>> that accurately reflect group ownership/etc. The octal permissions at
>> the file level are only good enough for a single group; I need to give
>> multiple groups different permissions on the same files, etc.
>>
>> I realize that there are a lot of questions that I need to research, but
>> I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some advanced
>> admin docs with best practices, etc. Most of the stuff I find relates on
>> how to set up a basic standalone PC, without any reference to how to
>> network together a bunch of servers running off central authentication,
>> etc...
>>

> Eric,
>
> if you are thinking of setting up ldap, email, address book ...etc.. all
> in one go ... then you need to test out ...something like zimbra from
> zimbra.com

Thanks for the input; I have already looked at Zimbra, and it looks like a
very interesting soln for me once I have everything else set up. I see
Zimbra as a nice group-ware pkg, but not as something to help me with
user-authentication to the server (for shell access), setting up file
permissions, shares, SMB permissions/shares, etc, etc, etc.

Tx!

Eric

believed to be clean.

I'll vote for zimbra too, has been brilliant for me. It is sort of appliance like in that you typically don't need to do much to a server to turn it into a working system. Mine runs as a Xen VM and I'll soon (5.1) be clustering it.

As far as tutorials go, I found that http://howtoforge.com/ is an excellent source of such types of articles.

Cheers.

believed to be clean.