[CentOS] Firfox plugins but no sound

Robert Spangler lazydog at zoominternet.net
Thu Nov 15 23:53:00 UTC 2007

On Thu November 15 2007 06:04, James Pearson wrote:

>  If you have a 64 bit distro installed, then aplay will be 64 bit -
> running:
>  file `which aplay`

Nope, but rpm -qa | grep alsa-util told me that I have the 64bit installed,
which by the way does work fine.

>  should confirm this. To run the 32 bit version you will need to download
>  the 32 bit (i386) alsa-utils RPM - but don't install it. Extract the 32
>  bit aplay binary by doing something like:
>  cd /tmp
>  rpm2cpio alsa-utils-1.0.6-6.i386.rpm  | cpio -idmv ./usr/bin/aplay

Roger, downloaded and extracted file.

>  However, as you are running CentOS4, you will need to make sure the
>  snd_ioctl32 kernel module is loaded - it isn't by default i.e.
>  modprobe snd_ioctl32

Also completed.

>  Then test with the 32 bit aplay:
>  alsaunmute 0
>  /tmp/usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav

No joy. it give the following output:

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken

and just sit there until I hit CTL-C

>  Same as mine ... however, I had lots of issues with 32 bit apps and
>  sound on 64 bit CentOS4 (not necessarily this sound card) - in the end I
>  'upgraded' to the ALSA 1.0.15 kernel drivers, libs and utils - which
>  works much better

Might have to walk down this same path  Thnx for all your help and time.

Smile... it increases your face value!