[CentOS] Problem running a setuid Perl script on CentOS 4.5

Alfred von Campe

alfred at von-campe.com
Fri Nov 16 14:42:40 UTC 2007

I'm trying to create a setuid Perl script (yes, I am aware about the
security implications), but am getting this error:

   % cat testsetuid.pl
   #!/usr/bin/perl -UT
   print "My real user id is $< but my effective user id is $>\n";
   exit(0);
   % ./testsetuid.pl
   Can't do setuid (cannot exec sperl)

I am using the stock Perl that came with CentOS 4.5.  The problem I
am trying to solve is to run a software build as a particular user.
We want any user to be able to submit a build job that runs on the
build machine as the designated build user.  If there is a better way
to do this, I'm open to suggestions.

Alfred