[CentOS] Installing java on CentOS 5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:33:44 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 17:19 -0500, R P Herrold wrote:
>>
>>> I hope now that java is GPL that it is packaged/bundled to eliminate
>>> this nonsense
>> The versions are using and adjunct components people want are
>> not GPLd
> ----
> downer - thanks

On the other hand, redistribution is permitted...

I've had pretty good luck using the opennms packaged version.  Pick the
yum config rpm from here: http://yum.opennms.org/ (I recommend the
'unstable' repo if you are actually going to install opennms).  If you
don't want opennms, you can just 'yum install jdk'.  If you do want
OpenNMS, start back here: http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Main_Page and
follow through the Development 1.3.8, Quick Start, RPM link and follow
the instructions which are now amazingly easy on Centos5.

The real question about java here is why is there no love between
japackage.org and RHEL5/Centos5  - or any Fedora version >6?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com