[CentOS] Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility - mini-pci wireless card 1390

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 20:32:15 UTC 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 8:40 PM, Andrew Allen <andy.allen at virgin.net> wrote:
> Is there any way I can find a driver and/or get the above wireless card
> working in CentOS 5 on my Dell laptop (Inspiron 1501). I've installed
> ipw2200 from RPMForge, but it now appears that this won't work because
> the card is not an Intel PRO/Wireless card. Dell seem to support only MS
> Windows Vista now so I don't think there's much chance of getting a
> driver from them - so am I on a fruitless 'crusade' in trying to get
> wifi in CentOS 5 in this case? Any helpful advice much appreciated
> please?

You can try ndiswrapper.
This software let you use the native windows driver. This is not
working with all
the driver but must of them.  And you have some luck with your DELL 1390 :

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/susenovell-60/10.2-64-broadcom-wifi-with-ndiswrapper-514676/

Install ndiswrapper, copy the windows drivers at the good place and voila.

Find and read the appropriate documentation for installing ndiswrapper
on centos ( or fedora )

A tips: Try first without any encryption.

> Thanks,
> Andy

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com