[CentOS] wall and mesg and Xwindow

Robert

kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 20 14:25:36 UTC 2007

I read in another post this morning something that reminded me of a
question that has left my pulling my eyebrows out.  How are broadcast
messages enabled in X?
I have found that
# mesg y
at a console will enable wall to post to that console.  And, by placing
"mesg y" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, messages will be enabled on all
consoles.  But they're not enabled in KDE, neither in a pop-up nor in a
terminal.  So far, I've been unable to find what changed between CentOS
4 and CentOS 5 (and equivalent upstream versions, obviously).

Would someone share a clue?