[CentOS] Dual boot box: WinXP & CentOS 5: Impossible to restore WinXP?

Lanny Marcus lannyma at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 14:29:46 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, 20 November 2007, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
<Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:
<snip>
>I think it's been mentioned in the thread, but since you don't talk
>about this in your summary above: one thing I would recommend is create
>(at least) 2 partitions for MS: a small (5 to 10 G) for the system, and
>a larger one for data.

Nicholas: Our other boxes have four (4) partitions for Windows. I've
never installed Windows on this box, because it came from the factory
with WinXp in Spanish. I reduced the NTFS partition in size, to make
room for CentOS, but it's still running what came on it, out of the
Dell factory.  Last week, I got an English language WinXP from Dell,
so I'm ready to roll in English now and do it properly on this one
too!

>then use norton/symantec ghost to generate images of your system

Several of our boxes have had Removable EIDE drive units in them (made
by CRU) and I used those, before I began using Linux, to make images,
and that was a great thing to do. I got lazy about making the backups
and found it easier to backup over the network. I didn't use Norton
Ghost, I used something else, but as I write this, I can't recall the
name of the Utility I used to make the images. As I recall, at that
time (a few years ago), Norton was more difficult to use and I'd read
something about some unreliable results from Ghost.

>you can probably do this with linux tools as well if you don't want
to buy ghost.

Yes. I will do everything possible with Linux tools in the future.
Thank you! Lanny