[CentOS] resize an image file

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Wed Nov 21 18:47:08 UTC 2007

> >/ I have a 100G disk on an old redhat 7.3 system.
> />/
> />/ Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> />/ /dev/hda1             9.6G  2.4G  6.7G  27% /
> />/ /dev/hda3              99G  6.1G   88G   7% /home
> />/ hda2 is 2G swap
> />/
> />/ I am trying to back that complete image up on my centos 5 system.
> />/ which gets me the whole 100G.
> />/
> />/ As you can see most of the disk is unused.
> />/ Is there a way to trim the resulting image to only be 10G instead of 100G?
> />/
> />/ Thanks,
> />/ Jerry
> /
>
> Try gzipping it, or bzip2:

> Make sure to put the gzip before the ssh, so you'll compress before
> you send over the network.
Brian,

Oh that compression will help, thanks.

However, once I have the image file I actually want to uncompress it and
resize it
so its down to the 10G. I will be using this file as a virtual image. I
dont want it setting there taking
up 100G when all it really is for me is 10G.

How do I CHOP off the unneeded 90G.

Jerry