[CentOS] HDD usage oddity

redhat at mckerrs.net redhat at mckerrs.net
Thu Nov 22 00:48:34 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ugo Bellavance" <ugob at lubik.ca>
To: centos at centos.org
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:37:31 AM (GMT+1000) Australia/Brisbane
Subject: [CentOS] HDD usage oddity

Hi,

2 of my Centos4 servers are showing weird behavior.

[root at server1 ~]# du -sh /var/
1.8G /var/
[root at server1 ~]# df -h /var
/dev/sda7 4.3G 3.9G 181M 96% /var

[root at server2 var]# df -h /var
/dev/sda7 2.9G 2.7G 0 100% /var
[root at server2 var]# du -sh /var/
1.6G /var/

du seems to be reporting the right size

Anyone seeing this?

believed to be clean.

Did you recently tidy up /var by deleting some files ? I think I've seen this sort of behaviour when you, for example, move and compress /var/log/messages without restarting syslog. It would seem that the storage isn't freed up until any process using it is restarted.

believed to be clean.