[CentOS] install via http

James A. Peltier jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca
Mon Nov 26 18:37:27 UTC 2007

Jeff Larsen wrote:
> Not only that, but you can make a nice small (10Mb) iso image that you
> can use to boot from. Great for mounting virtual media in a Dell DRAC
> to launch a network install. Here's the docs on  how to do it:
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/ch02s04.html
> See section 2.4.2.
> Jeff

The CentOS DVD images (not sure about CD images) have an images
directory that contains a boot.iso file that can be used to net boot
machines.  That's the one I used.

Together with a combination of autofs, lighttpd, rsync'ing and cron I am
able to fully support a lab of about 500 machines and a small cluster
using just 10 boot CDs and some kickstart files, boot and update the
machines in about an hour.  Including system customization, also done
through shell scripts.

James A. Peltier
Technical Director, RHCE
SCIRF | GrUVi @ Simon Fraser University - Burnaby Campus