[CentOS] Filesystem for Maildir

Heitor A.M. Cardozo heitor at centralserver.com.br
Wed Nov 28 13:58:21 UTC 2007

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Heitor Augusto M Cardozo wrote:
>> Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> I would contest the last two.
>>>
>> I had two bad experiences with ReiserFS in our Mail Server,
>> reiserfsck is too slow and lost data.
>
> Well, not on that...reiserfs assumes perfect media according to the
> complaints of some who use reiser so bad blocks could cause even the
> entire loss of the filesystem...not to mention that RH and therefore
> Centos (I wonder about plus...) does not support/maintain reiserfs.
>

>> IMHO ReiserFS have the best performance for Maildir but its only safe
>> on production if you´re sure that the system I/O will never fail.
>
> What does fsbench say? It has the best writing performance too?!?

No, according to the fsbench results, ReiserFS wins on Read Performance,
but XFS is, approximately, four times more faster on write.

I said that the ReiserFS have the best performance based on my
read/write server statics, where read requests are 70% of total I/O
requests.

In production, with ReiserFS, the server load average was around 30%
lower than XFS.

>>> bonnie++? Not appropriate. Try this:
>>> http://untroubled.org/benchmarking/2004-04/
>>>
>>> And add JFS to the mix. You will be surprised.
>>>
>> I already done tests with fsbench and the results on CentOS 4.5 were
>> equivalent: the performance of XFS was much higher than EXT3.
>>
>> Then, i retest using fsbench, bonnie++ and iozone on CentOS 5.0, and
>> the results now show the EXT3 (dir_index, noatime) with performance
>> similar to XFS.
>
> Now that is very interesting.

>>> If you do not have full blown battery back for write caches yes.

>>> Add BBU and XFS or JFS should do.
>> Yes, the BBU is installed and write_cache is enable. I will test JFS
>> to compare.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>
> Please post your findings. :-)

I'm doing new tests with ReiserFS, XFS, EXT3 and JFS in CentOS 5. I will
post soon as possible.

And sorry for my english...

Heitor A.M. Cardozo