[CentOS] Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Nov 28 15:23:35 UTC 2007

"Matt Shields" <mattboston at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Are you nuts? CentOS on laptop? Why you want to kill torture people in
>> > such a cruel way?
>> >
>> > Joy
>>

> Because some people may actually want to run a stable OS that will
> have patches released for quite a while.  Fedora is not an option for
> most business people who rely on their laptops every day.  Torture is
> installing the latest Fedora every 6 months and hoping something
> doesn't break.  Some would say Fedora users are nuts.
I think you perfectly described my experience with Fedora on my laptop
(HP zv6015).  I managed to coerce Fedora 4 onto it (even the install was
wonky until I learned about nofb).  I got tired of chasing the latest
Fedora release and moved to CentOS 5 when it was released.  I built a
custom kernel for a while so the card reader would work until enough
fixes got back ported that the stock kernel would read the SD card my
camera uses.  Now everything (sort of) "just works (TM)".  I say "sort
of" because I'm still running ndiswrapper since every time I've tried
the bcm43xx kernel module it hasn't worked with my WAP.

With CentOS 5 the laptop seems to be as stable as my desktop.  About the
only time I ever boot the Windows XP Home partition is if there's a BIOS
update or something that HP doesn't release any other way.  Can't
imagine torturing myself with XP.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce