[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

Robinson Tiemuqinke hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 20:42:09 UTC 2007

 Redhat announced RHEL 5.1 on Nov 07, so hopefully
CentOS 5.1 will be ready shortly. But I get kind of
nervous of the arrival of 5.1.

 My problem is: I have hundreds Centos 5.0 boxes just
finished installation and I will continue to install
and upgrade hundreds more in next few months. With the
arrival of Centos 5.1, I don't like to reinstall them
anymore but continuous upgrade instead -- if this is

 Currently I download the Centos 5.0 upgrade packages
from mirror sites on Internet
(.../centos/5/updates/{SRPMS,i386,x86_64}/...), with
the arrival of Centos 5.1, are the existing Centos 5.0
update packages will be removed in honor of Centos 5.1
updates? or it will stay? And how about the Centos
5.1's default packages in distro?

 Give an example here:

 2.6.18-8.1.15 version kernel is the most recently
updated kernel for Centos 5.0 distro, if the Centos
5.1 distro comes with 2.6.18-8.1.10000 kernel and in
the first few weeks there are no kernel updates for
5.1, then how can I upgrade my kernel to
2.6.18-8.1.10000 naturally -- will the
2.6.18-8.1.10000 shows in the same update sources

 A similar question is: are the update diretories
contains only updates for 5.1 distro, or both 5.0 and

 Any clarifications are greatly appreciated.