[CentOS] Filesystem for Maildir

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Thu Nov 29 17:29:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 08:51:25AM -0800, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> We haven't had any notable performance problems using this at a regional
>> ISP customer's site with about 10,000 e-mail users and several machines in
>> a cluster delivering mail to Maildir folders that are NFS mounted to the
>> central server.
>
>I've been using ext3 on server with 20000+ boxes for quite some time now,
>without any performance problems.
>
>I'm using the same kind of setup you use. Cluster, Maildir, NFS.
>
>Works quite nice, doesn't it ?

Very.  We have a single Linux box facing the Internet which
runs everything through postfix, amavisd, and clamav to weed out
the phishing and worms that attack the Microsoft virus, Windows,
then hands off messages that pass to the internal cluster using
round-robin DNS as the poor-mans load balancer.  This box runs
with a load average less than 1.00 most of the time, rejects
close to 2 million messages a day on IP related tests, passing
about a half-million through to the internal servers which do the
spamassassin checking and delivery to the user's mail stores.

Bill

We shouldn't elect a President;  we should elect a magician.
    Will Rogers