[CentOS] Kernel panic - where to go from here?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Nov 29 21:46:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 14:27 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 11:27 AM, Mike <azmr at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I googled "unable to handle kernel paging request" and didn't really find
> > anything useful (to me).
>
> In my experience this probably means that you have some RAM going bad
> and you only manage to tickle the problem when the machine becomes
> loaded enough to need that part of the address space.
>
> Reboot with memtest86 (should be on the centos install media) and look
> for test failures.

JFTR: I chased "random" panics for some time on my Acer AK77-400.
Thought bad memory, ran memtest86 and it was confimed... NOT!

Turns out that although the board supports DDR.../333/400
(PCwhatchamacallit/2700/...) and has three slots, there is not enough
bandwidth to run @ 400 with all three slots populated. At 333, all
memory tested good.

*After* I was made aware of this niggling little inconvenience, I had to
make the tough choice between faster or more memory. *sigh*.

I had found a post about it somewhere, but I can't locate it now. I hope
this is not your problem... or maybe it is better than bad memory?

--
Bill