[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

Robinson Tiemuqinke hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 22:20:59 UTC 2007

--- Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> John R Pierce wrote:
> > afaik, the updates directory contains the latest
> updates to all packages
> > that have been updated since the original .0
> release.
>
> Thats not true, the <rel>/updates/ dir will only
> contain updates
> released from the time that the <rel>/os/ was
> released. However, that is
> not an issue since yum does not consider
> repositories on their own, it
> merges all data into one set and then selects
> packages to update,
> therefore packages from the <rel>/os/ repository get
> included as well.
>
> so, you really do want to stay with the /5/ release,
> in order to keep
> getting all the latest updates etc. and not use ( as
> you pointed out
> already ) the 5.1/ or 5.0/ directories.
>
> - KB

The problem is whether there is a way to achieve the
following:

 Continue to install machines with Centos 5.0(!!)
distro (not 5.1, 5.2, etc snapshots|subreleases), But
have .../centos/5/updates/{SRPMS|i386|x86_64}/
repositories|directories which contains updates since
5.0 to current level. This way I only need to feed yum
with two repositories: centos/5.0/os/ and
centos/5/updates/ -- some time will have local custom
repos as well, but that is another totally different
topic.

 Currently I can not do it, because on Internet Centos
Mirror Sites, the centos/{4,5}/updates/ are in fact
symbolic links to
centos/{4,5}.<latest_update_snapshot_release>/updates/
and contains update RPMS ONLY SINCE the relase date
{4,5}.}.<latest_update_snapshot_release>. But what I
like to have is a accumulated updates repository since
{4,5}.0 release date.

 I could try to emulate the effect by synchronizing
each update repository for previous subreleases, For
example, for Centos 4 series, sync updates RPMS for
4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 into one local repository
and feed it to yum.conf, then sync updates for 4.5
into another repository for yum, at last, feed the
repository of 4.0 base os to yum as well. Totally yum
has one base os 4.0 repo, two updates repos for
possible??consistent initial installation and upgrade
-- If it works, then there is no need to setup new
kickstart/pxe for each subrelease after the latter is
released.

 Has any one done the above? If so, how is that
working? or there is no need to do do it because there
are accumulated updates repositories on Internet
Mirror Sites to sync from? Or because this is
impossible because each subrelease contains new
versions of packages/tools not in any updates/
repositories??

 Thanks a lot.

--Robinson