[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 23:00:58 UTC 2007

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:

> The problem is whether there is a way to achieve the
> following:
>
>  Continue to install machines with Centos 5.0(!!)
> distro (not 5.1, 5.2, etc snapshots|subreleases), But
> have .../centos/5/updates/{SRPMS|i386|x86_64}/
> repositories|directories which contains updates since
> 5.0 to current level. This way I only need to feed yum
> with two repositories: centos/5.0/os/ and
> centos/5/updates/ -- some time will have local custom
> repos as well, but that is another totally different
> topic.

If you install a Centos 4.0 now you can 'yum update' and you'll end up
current with 4.5.  I think this works because the [base] repository
floats with the symlinks to point at one containing the updated versions
of everything at the point release time.  If you are talking about
mirroring the contents you'll have to mirror the symlinked directory.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com