OT: Release Cycles [was RE: [CentOS] special tricks for developers box on centos 5]

Fri Nov 30 14:22:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 19:01 -0800, Robert - elists wrote:

> > I think it's just too new and shiny.  ccache is installed by default with
> > Fedora 8.
> >

> Wow, fedora 8?
>
> Where have I been?
>
> Sheesh, most of us are still dealing with considering centos 5 migrations
> from rock solid centos 4 "as necessary" eh?
>
> Isn't this fedora thing getting a little bit "cat outta the bag" or has
> there been a consensus of how many passing fedora's will make up a new
> "upstream release number?"
>
> Anyone care to share?
>
>  - rh

RH has shared already.

Fedora is released on an ~6 month cycle [1].
RHEL is released on an 18/24 month cycle [2].

18/6=3 and 24/6=4

EL5 branched off from FC6 during the testing stage, so EL6 should
presumably be derived from Fedora 9 or 10.

For more info google:

	fedora enterprise site:redhat.com

Phil

[1]  http://www.redhat.com/magazine/019may06/features/fedora_rhel_1/