[CentOS] Questions about kernel updates

Sat Nov 3 21:38:36 UTC 2007
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

The latest CentOS 5 kernel, 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 broke my box and I had to
drop back to 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5 before I could play DVDs with either Xine
or mplayer. ( xine-0.99.5-1.el5.rf & mplayer-1.0-0.36.rc1try2.el5.rf ).
This is no big deal to me  -- as long as I can make certain that  the
older kernel doesn't go away.
If I understand the installonly plugin correctly, an entry of tokeep=4
in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf will cause yum to leave the
working kernel in place through 2 more upgrades.  Aside from setting
tokeep to an insanely large value, is there any way to insure that yum
will concern itself only with installing updates, allowing me to deal
with tossing the old stuff?  Also, is my understanding of the "tokeep"
value in installonlyn.conf correct?

Thanks!