[CentOS] Persistent iSCSI Device Names on CentOS 4

Tue Nov 13 21:47:26 UTC 2007
Jay Leafey <jay.leafey at mindless.com>

I found a lot of stuff about this on the web, but never an answer that
worked.  One of the most promising hints was about udev maintaining
links in the /dev/disk/by-* directories.  This works just fine in CentOS
5, but not CentOS 4.  As I was trying to use the iSCSI devices as VMware
disks this was particularly frustrating.  After banging my head on this
for a while, I figured out how to make it work.

By default, iSCSI devices don't show up in the /dev/disk/by-*
directories maintained by udev under CentOS 4.  After looking at the
scripts used by udev, it appeared that the scsi_id program was not
returning anything for the iSCSI devices.  Digging in the manpage and
the /etc/scsi_id.config file led me to believe that the devices in
question were "blacklisted" and never returned a valid device ID.

The fix was to add a line to scsi_id.config to whitelist the particular
devices.  In my case, the iSCSI devices are provided by on Openfiler
box, which shows up in /proc/scsi/scsi like this:

Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: Openfile Model: Virtual disk     Rev: 0
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 04

The fix for me was to add the following line to my iscsi_id.config file:

vendor=Openfile, model="Virtual disk", options=-g

The values for "vendor=" and "model=" will vary with the specific iSCSI
target used.  After adding this and rebooting, udev now properly
maintains the links in /dev/disk/by-id/ for each of the iSCSI devices
offered up to my workstation.

Hope that helps somebody!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN