[CentOS] Network issue after new kernel install

Thu Nov 1 18:12:07 UTC 2007
Michael D. Kralka <michael.kralka at kvs.com>

Paul Norton wrote:
> On all of my CentOS 5 VMWare ESX3 virtual machines (about 15), after
> installing a new kernel and rebooting the machine, the Network script
> tries to run dhclient and can't determine the IP info (since I don't run
> a dhcpd server... it's a static IP only lan).  This also backs up my
> ifcfg-eth0 file to ifcfg-eth0.bak and writes a new ifcfg-eth0 that has
> dhcpd with no IP info.  Copying the ifcfg-eth0.bak to ifcfg-eth0 and
> running /etc/init.d/network start or ifup eth0 brings my network back up.

I have found that kudzu does this if it detects changes in the MAC
addresses of your NICs. Did you clone/copy your virtual machine and did
VMware regenerate MAC addresses for your virtual NICs?

Cheers,
Michael