[CentOS] Re: anyone using DBMail?

Sat Nov 3 18:23:02 UTC 2007
Lee Garner <lee at leegarner.com>

> Now, storing email in a database might be a controversial idea. I can
> definitely see at the same time some advantages, but also some
> disadvantages. However, for an IMAP server that essentially is used only
> by two people, I don't think the database per se can be a problem.

What's the controversy?  Think Exchange, Domino, Groupwise.

Anybody here using DBMail? Any success stories? Horror stories? "Meh"
> stories?

If I do end up using it, most likely I'll use ver 2.2.5 (available in
> the EPEL repo) with CentOS 5, probably with a MySQL backend (but I'm not
> sure yet, SQLite might be another option).

1-2 years ago I migrated away from Maildir files to DBMail using MySQL.  My
goals was primarily stability.  With replicated database servers and
separating the frontend from the backend, I gained reliability and
flexibility.

This wasn't for user accounts (Exchange handled those), but for dedicated
addresses related to products.  Another server process typically POP'd the
messages.

Generally it worked great.  There's a bit of setup and testing involved, but
overall I was quite happy with it.  There's a web admin interface that works
pretty well also.