[CentOS] Questions about kernel updates

Sun Nov 4 10:06:26 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Robert wrote:
> The latest CentOS 5 kernel, 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 broke my box and I had to
> drop back to 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5 before I could play DVDs with either Xine
> or mplayer. ( xine-0.99.5-1.el5.rf & mplayer-1.0-0.36.rc1try2.el5.rf ).
> This is no big deal to me  -- as long as I can make certain that  the
> older kernel doesn't go away.
> If I understand the installonly plugin correctly, an entry of tokeep=4
> in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf will cause yum to leave the
> working kernel in place through 2 more upgrades.  Aside from setting
> tokeep to an insanely large value, is there any way to insure that yum
> will concern itself only with installing updates, allowing me to deal
> with tossing the old stuff?  Also, is my understanding of the "tokeep"
> value in installonlyn.conf correct?

Yes ... you can just turn that plugin off

set enabled=0 in installonlyn.conf and it will never delete a kernel.

You could also add this to the CentOS-Base.repo file in
/etc/yum.repos.d/ in the [Base] and [updates] sections:

exclude=kernel kernel-headers kernel-devel kernel-PAE* kernel-xen*

then you will have to manually upgrade your kernels ... if you wanted that.

I will test the DVD playback issues and see if I can duplicate them.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes