[CentOS] question about backup regimens

Thu Nov 8 17:56:50 UTC 2007
Toby Bluhm <tkb at MidwestInstruments.com>

Mark Snyder wrote:

> Tom Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I need to recommend some backup options for a web server running
>>> CentOS 4.1. The client prefers using a tape drive as their backup
>>> device and has access to safe offsite storage. I was thinking of
>>> system backups weekly and differential backups nightly but don't
>>> know what software to recommend for the differential b/u's. For full
>>> backups I can just schedule a tar and compress using cron.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>>>
>> for me www.amanda.org everytime

I've used amanda for a number of years without a hitch. Simple to
implement. Depending on how you set it up, an amanda tape can be
restored using only native OS tools. Centos has amanda rpms, but I
prefer to built it from tarball. Can also backup to disk (virtual tape)
and tape raid.

--
Toby Bluhm
Midwest Instruments Inc.