[CentOS] HP DL585 - CentOS4.5 - kix woes

Thu Nov 8 22:56:24 UTC 2007
Tom Brown <tom at ng23.net>

> As it turns out, I did this for 4.2, instead of 4.5...but here are my
> notes from when I did it:
> (It is geared toward IBM of course, but the steps would be the same..)
>
> Grab driver disk (.iso)from:
> http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisp
> lay?lndocid=MIGR-5070766&brandind=5000008
>
> Copy bnx2-1.4.43b*dd.img to a linux box in /tmp
> Put the initrd from your kickstart in /tmp/centos-custom-initrd.img
> As root, run these commands:
>
>   cd /tmp
>   mkdir ibmdd
>   mkdir custom-initrd
>   mount -oloop bnx2-1.4.43b*dd.img /tmp/ibmdd
>

> -now mount centOS's initrd file:
>   mount -oloop centos-custom-initrd.img /tmp/custom-initrd
>

> -now extract the driver from IBM's driverdisk:
>   cd /tmp/ibmdd/modules
>   mkdir temp
>   cp modules.cgz temp/mod.gz
>   cd temp
>   gzip -d mod.gz
>   cat mod | cpio -idv
>

> -now extract the modules from RedHat's initrd (not enough room on the
> mounted initrd for this):
>   mkdir /tmp/rhtmp
>   cp /tmp/custom-initrd/modules/modules.cgz /tmp/rhtmp/rh.gz
>   cd /tmp/rhtmp
>   gzip -d rh.gz
>   cat rh | cpio -idv
>

> -now insert the driver from the IBM driver disk into the extracted RH
> initrd:
> cd /tmp/rhtmp/2.6.9-22.EL/i686
> cp /tmp/ibmdd/modules/2.6.9-5.EL/i686/bnx2.ko .
>
> -Now recreate the modules.cgz file for the RedHat initrd:
>   cd /tmp/rhtmp
>   rm -f rh
>   find . | cpio -o -H crc | gzip > modules.cgz
>
> -Now put that back onto the CentOS initrd:
>   mv modules.cgz /tmp/rhinitrd/modules
>
> -We now need to tell Redhat which devices the new driver is good for, so
> update the follow files:
>   cd /tmp/ibmdd
>   tail -3 modinfo >> /tmp/custom-initrd/modules/module-info
>   cat pcitable >> /tmp/rhinitrd/modules/pcitable
>

> NOTE: the pcitable file appears to be in numeric order (hex), dunno if
> it is essential, so just make sure your updates go in in order. watch
> for tabs vs spaces in that file.
>
> thats about it, just umount the /tmp/rhinitrd and you should be good to
> go:
> umount /tmp/custom-initrd

thanks for this - alas for me it still gives me the same issue during
the kix namely 'no network cards available for kickstart' or words to
that effect.

it seems crazy to me that HP have shipped kit that RedHat appears to not
see out of the box.