[CentOS] Re: Centos5 install failure

Mon Nov 12 02:33:13 UTC 2007
Christopher Chan <christopher at ias.com.hk>

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2007-11-09, Christopher Chan <christopher at ias.com.hk> wrote:
>
>> I don't know...he did say that he restored lilo to get his FC1
>> installation working again. grub should not have problems picking up its
>> second stage unless it rests beyond the 1024 cylinder and there is no
>> LBA support. That leads to the question, where is the partition for the
>> /boot for the Centos5 kernels located and is there LBA support in the BIOS?
>
> On my first installation attempt grub was installed beyond the 1024
> cylinder mark, but I assumed that my year 2000 BIOS ought to be able to
> handle that. On my second unsuccessful install attempt, Centos had the
> whole drive to itself, /boot was on /dev/hda1 starting at cylinder 1.
> The rest of the drive anaconda used for the LVM volume.

I have never had that kind of problem with grub...man, I used pxegrub
for the boot process for dozens machines with serial console support.

Ext3 for /boot eh? I am sorry...beyond making a grub floppy or grub cd
as you say you have done...I do not know what else to try on your part.
LBA support in BIOS?