[CentOS] CentOS 5 Boot Issues

Mon Nov 12 15:34:04 UTC 2007
Robert Slade <centos at likley.co.uk>

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 01:44 +0100, Alain Spineux wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2007 6:07 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> > > Look for some "*.rpmsave" files and specialy in /etc.
> > > Check the integrity of related packages:
> > > rpm -V sysklogd initscripts
> >
> > And "*.rpmnew" files.  You will have a lot of .rpmnew files after an upgrade.
>
> For sure something to try.
>
> Did you upgrade your kernel or at least remake initrd files ?
>
> # man initrd

I am using kernel 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5. I tried remaking
/boot/initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5.img but that still has the same issue
with the log files.

> > And then there is "*.rpmorig", but those don't show up as often.
> >

> > When you find .rpmsave files, that's a hint that a previous config may have been lost.
> >
> > When you find .rpmnew files, that's a hint that new configs may not be working.
> > When they differ, and you don't recognize the change as something you want to
> > keep, then 'mv' the .rpmnew file over the original ('mv' more easily preserves
> > timestamps and such.)

There are no rpmorig files and rpmnew is:

/etc/ldap.conf.rpmnew
/etc/localtime.rpmnew
/etc/ntp.conf.rpmnew
/etc/passwd.rpmnew
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew
/etc/cups/mime.types.rpmnew
/etc/cups/printers.conf.rpmnew
/etc/pam.d/system-auth.rpmnew
/etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo.rpmnew
/usr/share/a2ps/afm/fonts.map.rpmnew

Non of which appear to be related to the problem.

Thanks

Rob